You’ve probably learnt by now that yoga is so beneficial for health and well-being. Perhaps, you would know how good it is to your body and mind if you’ve tried it. The physical and mental benefits of practicing yoga on a regular basis are amazingly huge. Yet, many people think yoga is all about meditation and flexibility, not realizing the fact that there’s a lot more to this ancient practice. Yoga is actually an excellent exercise for weight loss, unlike those slimming fads that may not be good for your health.
There are a number of yoga asanas that build and tone muscles. Yoga helps balance and detox your body. One of the main benefits of practicing yoga includes its ability to fight stubborn fat stores in the body apart from preventing many health problems. Yoga not only helps you shed those unwanted fats but also keep them off permanently if done regularly. Vrksasana, or the Tree Pose, is an effective yoga exercise that is great for the core and abdominal muscles. Read: How to do Ardha Matsyendrasana or sitting half-spinal twist yoga pose for weight loss
Some amazing benefits of doing the Tree Pose
- This yoga pose works on almost every muscle in your body, especially around the core.
- It also tones the muscles of the thighs and arms.
- It calms your mind and leaves you in a state of rejuvenation.
- This posture helps improve concentration.
- It has has been found to relieve some cases of sciatica.
Here’s how to do the Tree Pose or Vrikshasana
- Stand straight with both the arms by the side of your body.
- Bend your right knee and place the right foot high up on your left thigh, ensuring that the sole of the foot is placed flat and firmly near the root of the thigh.
- Your left leg should be straight as you find your balance.
- Once you are in a position, take a deep breath in, raise your arms over your head from the side, and bring your palms together in ‘Namaste’ mudra (hands-folded position).
- Make sure you look straight ahead in front of you, at a distant object.
- Ensure that your entire body is tightly stretched like a stretched elastic band even as you keep your spine straight.
- Continue taking in long deep breaths. With each exhalation, try to relax the body more and more.
- Exhale slowly and gently bring down your hands from the sides, you may release the right leg in a tender manner.
- Now, stand tall and straight and repeat this pose with the other foot.